Reasons to be thankful Posted on December 6th, 2005 by

The last few weeks have been absolutely crazy. I completed two more essays, finished my classes, and celebrated Thanksgiving with a traditional American feast. Now, with less than two weeks left in Scotland, I’m starting to feel the pressure of needing to accomplish a million things in a very short period of time. Of course, I need to tie up all the loose ends to my academic life here at Edinburgh. Luckily, this will only require one more 2,000 word essay, a take-home exam, and one final exam. Not too bad at all. Then I need to finish touring the landmarks I have been putting off since my arrival. It’s not that I don’t want to see these places, but it’s been more of a matter of prioritizing my time. And I’ll be the first to admit that I have some room for improvement in that department. Then there’s the fun stuff: shopping for Christmas gifts and enjoying my nights out with all my friends and my boyfriend.

A couple of weeks ago I once again hopped on a train to St Andrews. This time my friend and I arrived early enough to actually tour the remains of the castle and the cathedral. We also got to climb to the top of St. Rule’s Tower, which offered an unbelievable view of the town. The view was complemented by the appearance of two rainbows over St Andrews Bay. I can also happily report that, on this visit, I also saw the Old Course, and I have the pictures to prove it!

I also participated in the second Butler-organized weekend trip. In mid-November, Butler took us to the Isle of Arran. The one hour ferry ride seemed to last only minutes and was quite enjoyable. The island itself is known as “Scotland in Miniature” because its features are amazingly similar to mainland Scotland. Arran is gorgeous; words do no justice to the island’s beauty. It was also the first time that I have seen seals, red deer, and standing stones.

Thanksgiving in Edinburgh turned out to be a very special occasion. About seven Americans, myself included, worked together to produce a bona fide feast for over twenty-four people from all around the world. The dinner was complete with two turkeys, three different kinds of mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, green bean casserole, carrots, bread, cranberries, and homemade apple pie with ice cream. All our guests feasted until they were rendered immobile. A toast to the cooks completed the night. It was truly one of my most memorable experiences in Scotland. Thinking about it now reminds me how much I’m going to miss all of the people I’ve met in Edinburgh, as well as the city itself, and how thankful I am to even have this opportunity. But before I start thinking about all those things, I have a lot to do with the time I have left.

1. Colette Traut says:

Hi Bridget – We’re all looking forward to your return home with all your stories and pictures. And, now that I hear you can cook, we’ll expect some tasty dishes coming from you as well over the holidays!
    Love, Mom

2. Jolene Traut says:

Hey Sis!
    Looks like it’s going to be hard to leave dear old Scotland huh? Don’t worry, Jen, Paula and I will make your coming home quite memorable. Can’t wait to see you and feast of a fattening dinner of fried Chinese cuisine! All my love from Winona!

-Bean

3. Mike Warren says:

Ah Bridget, you actually gazed upon the venerable Royal and Ancient Course at St. Andrews. All is forgiven, you can return to the USA honorably. (Provided we get all the good stories and see all the photos.) Maybe someday you could be a tour guide for a small group in a return visit to Scotland, I know two people who have some interest. See you soon, flower girl.
    Uncle Mike