Picts, travel, and tasty delicacies Posted on October 27th, 2005 by

BridgetAs I have just returned from my mid-semester break and actually need to start writing essays, I decided to warm-up a bit beforehand by finally making another post. It’s so hard to believe that the semester is half over already. I honestly don’t know where the time has gone. But I’m enjoying every second of it. Naturally, I enjoy the travel and social aspects of studying abroad much more so than the academic part. Yet it has been interesting adapting to a new academic system, one which relies more on a student’s independent work than on actual instruction. One aspect of the Scottish system that I actually prefer is the amount of freedom and flexibility I have in regard to independent reading. Now it’s just a matter of channeling all that independent reading and tutorial discussions into a cohesive essay on Class II Pictish cross-slabs.

St. AndrewsForgetting about the Picts for a moment, this past month has been filled with a lot of traveling, socializing, and better food. I took a day-trip up to St Andrews with a flatmate a few weeks ago. We got a late start and caught the 2:00 train, arriving in St Andrews around 3:00. It was my first train ride ever, so I was very excited. By the time we orientated ourselves in the city, most of the stores and historic sites were closed for the day. However, the weather was absolutely gorgeous and we spent the day walking along the coastline and admiring the ruins of the castle and cathedral. I must admit, rather sheepishly, I might add, that we didn’t see the golf course. That works out just as well, though, because I wouldn’t mind paying another visit to St Andrews.

Just over two weeks ago I went on the IFSA-Butler-organized trip to Inverness and the Highlands. It was quite possibly the most enjoyable weekend I’ve had since I’ve been in Scotland. The trip was amazing; it included a tour of Scone Palace (the site of the coronation of Scottish kings for 450 years), a falconry display, a sheepdog demonstration, a trip up into the Cairngorn Mountains, a tour of a traditional whiskey distillery, a cruise on Loch Ness, a visit to the ruins of Urquhart Castle, and stops at Glen Nevis, Culloden Battlefield, and Glencoe. The Highlands are truly breathtaking and words and pictures cannot possibly do justice to their grandeur.

Scone PalaceWhile I have enjoyed the trips to St Andrews and Inverness immensely, I did find myself impatient to get back to Edinburgh. I’ve become very close with my flatmates and the honorary flatmates (the guys next door). I feel like they’ve all become my third family, if you will, right behind my actual and forensics families. It’s very hard to think about leaving them in a month and a half, so I try to always concentrate on living in the present moment. I’m looking forward to this Sunday, which will mark the return of the now traditional “family dinner.” Each Sunday, one girl teams up with one guy to cook dinner for both flats-a mere 24 mouths to feed. Luckily, my turn hasn’t come yet.

Speaking of food, I’ve actually become somewhat of a cook myself. With that being said, I must state that I am still a novice. My skills have increased, however, and I’ve actually made a broccoli and cheese casserole served over rice (my crowning glory). At the very least, my meals are healthier, and I find myself going through quantities of tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, and, much to the amusement of my flatmates, frozen peas. I’ve also taken up drinking tea. It hasn’t been easy, since I was a hard-core coffee drinker back home, but sometimes I find it preferable to the inferior instant coffee I have here.

On a more serious note, I was notified a few weeks ago about the death of a good friend. Being across the ocean and helpless to anything has been incredibly frustrating and disheartening. It was also difficult being surrounded by people who had no memories of this person. It was during those couple of days after I got the news that I felt more alone here than ever. However, my friends here, particularly my flatmates, have been so supportive and understanding. They truly are like another family to me.

Now it’s time for me to return to the Picts. Wait, you’re probably thinking, didn’t she mention she just had a mid-semester break? Why didn’t she get the essay written then? A valid question. Unfortunately the answer must wait until I finish up with the Picts and a History of Art essay. I’ll leave you with a hint, though: think green…

1. Mike Warren says:

Hello Bridget,
    St. Andrews and didn’t even see the Royal and ancient course? We’ll talk when you get back.
    I am still jealous. Young, out on the world with good friends. It doesn’t get much better.
    See you soon,
    Uncle Mike

2. Jolene Traut says:

Well, dearest sister, looks like you have been a busy little bee. I must admit I agree with Uncle Mike in saying that I am terribly jealous of all the fun and adventures you are having and all the beautiful places you have seen. Can’t wait until you get back though. . . I kind of miss you. Just think, Chinese. . . our cousin and I will be happy to celebrate your return in that fashion. Things are okay here. It’s getting colder with each passing day, and I fear that although the snow won’t come for quite some time, it will soon be frigid and freezing outside down here in this little valley. Keep warm, have fun!
    Much Love-
    Jolene