Rugby, choir, and the sunday market Posted on February 15th, 2005 by

The kilts were in packs this weekend as the rugby games took over the city of Edinburgh. Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England, and France were all colorfully represented with flags flying in storefronts, on pub signs, and across the shirts, clothing, and hair of fans. Pubs with TVs were overflowing with spectators — a team’s progress was obvious with unison eruptions from entire sections of the city. Singing, dancing, yelling, growling — a great weekend to simply observe and not get involved. My friends and I have been extremely cautious with our color choices in order to avoid any unwanted confrontations — we figure that black is a safe color not associated with any rugby team….

We had some friends at our flat on Friday night to celebrate my flatmate’s 22nd birthday (the one from France). At the gathering were people from Germany, Switzerland, England, Scotland, Ireland, Japan, U.S., Canada (many from Quebec), and France. Friday night was the first night where I was actually offended by comments made about the U.S. by some of the guests. I have heard comments throughout my trip that have been negative, but none this ‘direct’ I guess. I entered and left many interesting conversations — I definitely walked away with yet a new perspective on the U.S. Oh well . . .

After having over a month to settle in, I decided it was time to join a club or society. As of last Tuesday, I am an official member of the Edinburgh University Music Society Chorus! With rehearsals once per week, this mixed non-auditioned group is perfect for me: I am able to continue to sing without a large time commitment. The conductor of the choir has a “Shrek”-like accent, which I find quite amusing. No auditions are required of the members, but it is generally accepted and assumed that the individuals are able to read music (which implies that even though there are no auditions, the choir is more advanced than others at the University). The EUMS consists of a chorus, symphony orchestra, and a sinfonia that practice separately, yet perform together. I will not be joining the EUMS on their tour of Norway, which means that I can choose whether to perform with them throughout the semester or simply attend the rehearsals.

I stumbled upon yet another jewel of Edinburgh: The Sunday Market. I could accurately describe the Sunday Market as a large garage sale held in a parking garage. Individuals and families line their cars and open their boots (trunks) to display the various items for sale: Clothing, dishes and utensils, shoes, electronics, furniture, posters, jewelry, banana bread, etc. Each week the Market features a different selection of participants – so every week there are new items!

This is the sixth week of classes – I can hardly believe it! The temperature has dropped quite a bit, but the grass is still green and the daylight hours are increasing quickly (I have never seen green grass in February, so this is a new thing for me!) Pretty soon it will be time for Spring Break — YAY!!!

Now, if only I could get excited about doing homework . . . .

1. Fellow Musician says:

Given that anyone can view this page, perhaps it is best not to describe the conductor of the EUMS Chorus as having a “Shrek-like” accent. Highly inappropriate for public viewing…