My first post Posted on October 22nd, 2004 by

It’s kind of odd that this is my first entry and yet the semester is half over. I don’t quite know where to begin, as this semester has been one that has changed my direction in life tremendously. I’m studying at the London Dramatic Academy in the heart of London, in Bloomsbury near Russell Square and Chancery Lane, where all the lawyers are. The program is incredibly intense — I arrive around 9:30 in the morning and leave usually between 6:30 and 8:30, depending on the day. I don’t have a ton of time to run around London, but I’m pretty much in the actor’s dream: individualized tutorials, speech and movement classes, Shakespeare workshops, all with prominent actors from the West End. (I went to see a show the other night that one of our sonnet instructors had the lead in — he was phenomenal). When I do have time off, the nightlife here rocks. I’ve been to so many clubs, pubs, and restaurants in the last two months that I’ve lost count. And part of the program is going to an alarming amount of plays — the first week we were here, we saw a total of eight shows. And not just plays — the London Symphony Orchestra, the opera, all that. It’s incredible.

Our first fall break was two weeks ago, and a bunch of us went to Rome to stay with one of the guys in the program, Angelo. I stayed at a hostel run by nuns, which was supremely nice, almost like a little villa. It was weird to see the Forum and the Colesium up close — I almost felt like they were fake. Well, I need to run — we’re off to the Royal Ballet!

Love, SarahKathryn

1. margaret rosta says:

can I please have more information on the hostel in London and Rome run by nun – addresses and names and contacts of such hostels please