Introduction Posted on February 2nd, 2006 by

Hello Everyone! I’m Jill and I’m getting ready to leave for Prague in just a few days. I thought I would write this first entry so you all can know a little bit more about me.

I am a junior, Sociology major and dance minor. I’m pretty involved around campus…here are some activities/clubs that I’m in, Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority (co-community service chair), Building Bridges, SHIFT (Students Helping Integrate Fair Trade, treasurer), ACC (Asian Cultures Club), PLEDGE (President’s Leadership Education Diversity Group Endeavour), MTDC (Matching Tights Dance Company), SOFA (Gustavus Student Outreach to Foster Care and Adoption, Co-president and co-founder), STAND UP! Organizer (Res. Life social justice program), AKD (Sociology/Anthropology Honor Society), and DLC (Diversity Leadership Council)….whew! That’s a lot of acronyms!

On Sunday, Feb. 5, I will be going to Prague for four months. The program I am going through is SIT (School for International Training) and I will be studying Arts and Social Change. Check out this website if you want to know more about my program. The program focuses on history, politics, social change and art. We will be studying literature, architecture, music, visual arts, dance, and theater and their roles in the history and politics of the Czech Republic, past and present. I chose this program because I wanted to go to a large European city with a lot of history. Prague is all of that and everyone I’ve talked to has said that it is a beautiful city. I’m excited to see all of the old architecture because Prague survived both World Wars without a direct bombing so there are a lot of examples of architecture that don’t exist any more in other parts of Europe.

I am looking at this study abroad experience as a challenge and an adventure. The next time you hear from me, I’ll be in Prague!