The London Accent Posted on January 11th, 2006 by

Well I said I would make one more post before I left for Europe, but that was a lie. I’m sitting right now in an internet cafe in London. You’ll hear about that soon, but first let me tell you a little more about myself.

I am a political science major at Gustavus, with an English minor. At Gustavus, I am the president of College Republicans, a group leader for Prepare Ministries, and (the now former) treasurer for APO, a community service fraternity. I was also active in Proclaim, Men’s Christian fellowship, and the Pro-life gusties. I really value my faith, and I enjoy talking about politics – the two worst conversation starters. The first time I toured Gustavus, I decided I wouldn’t go there. But applying was free, so I did it anyway. Once I was accepted, I toured again, and as I started eliminating colleges I didn’t want to go to, Gustavus remained. So I ended up here, and I am very glad for it.

So here I am in England, for the second time. Last year I took the Gustavus only Jterm going to England, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. London is a tremendously multi-cultural city, and I rarely hear English on the subway (tube). I do have to say I am a fan of the English accent though. It sounds intelligent and confident. But other than that they are a whole lot like us. England is really the most similar country to America. Materialism is insane, and an independent lifestyle is valued. The english barely consider themselves part of Europe anyway.

I haven’t been homesick at all despite knowing I won’t be going home for five months. I now have to keep a long distance relationship, and it has been really tough already being away from her and knowing I won’t see her for so long. I feel very cut-off from the life I lived before a couple days ago, but that isn’t all bad. I enjoy choosing what I can do, and being completely independent in a foreign place.

I haven’t done a whole lot yet in England. I visited Buckingham palace, went in a few shops, and walked around Hide Park. Since I had been here last year, I feel a lot less touristy and not especially excited to see the things I’ve already seen. But my schedule has a lot of new things on it, and next week I’m in Brussels. I’ve been sitting here for an hour writing this and sending emails to other people, and I already feel lazy since I’ve spent the last few days always on the go. But I should go now anyway to try my new European calling plan. See ya in a few.