A bittersweet ending Posted on December 22nd, 2005 by

In continuing with my established practice of writing retrospective blogs, I offer my final post after I have been back in the U.S. for three days.

My final days in Scotland were a physical and emotional roller-coaster ride. Near the end of my second to last week in Edinburgh my health started to deteriorate. I thought that if I just took it easy for a few days I’d be better in no time. About five days later I didn’t feel any better and finally made an appointment to see a doctor at the medical center on campus. She told me I probably had a chest infection and prescribed a week’s worth of anti-biotics, which I finished the day of my return to the U.S. Being ill that last week cost me a lot of time and rendered me unable to see most of the things in Edinburgh that I had been putting off until the end. I also didn’t feel very ambitious about studying for my final exam. But the worst part about being sick that last week was being unable to spend time with all of the friends I’d made.

When I made the decision to study abroad, people told me that I would have so many adventures, see so many new things, and meet lots of different people. I had counted on making friends in Scotland, but I never thought I would become so close to them that it would break my heart to say good-bye. I made several American friends, many who I plan to remain in close contact with and see again. Yet I also became very close to some of my flatmates and others who will be spending four years at Edinburgh. And saying good-bye to those people was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I know that we’ll stay in touch and hopefully visit each other from time to time, but it’s going to be rather strange returning to Gustavus instead of Edinburgh and not seeing my new friends.

I had the time of my life while I was in Scotland. I miss it already. My final week was filled with so many tears and good-byes. Between saying good-bye and trying to get rid of my chest infection, I just ran out of time. I will go back, I am certain of that. Now it’s just a matter of saving up the money and making the time. I know now that I returned a different person. I feel so much more independent and confident that I can make it on my own. While it is nice to be home, I do miss Scotland terribly. At least now I have several reasons to return…