Beginning to wrap up classes Posted on March 15th, 2005 by

Time sure flies! Mid-March has brought sun, rain and fog, and the end of classes is now in sight!!

Wednesday I woke up to bright sunshine, and decided to climb Arthur’s Seat for the first time. With the bright sky and a decent temperature, I packed my bags, grabbed a lunch, and headed out. After stepping outside, I immediately noticed dark clouds creeping in the distance, and consequently decided to postpone my excursion until a later time.

Since I was already prepped to go, I continued walking and made my way to the Museum of Scotland. Each exhibit was incredibly fascinating, and I say this after only barely covering one floor of the 6-floor museum. Filled with artifacts from all around the United Kingdom, the museum has beautiful exhibitions of all kinds. My favorite area (of the first floor) included information about the formation of the land — how Scotland actually came to exist. Turns out, Scotland actually began at the South Pole, moved its way North for a few million years until it ran into another piece of land – England! Now I can better understand why Scotland and England despise each other so much – they were two pieces of land squashed together, evidently against both of their wishes.

After finding one’s way through the tangled layout of the first floor of the museum, it is possible to take a lift to the very top of the building for a gorgeous view of Scotland. This weeks picture was taken on the 7th floor terrace, and the background is filled with the top of Old Town, Edinburgh. In the very back it is possible to see the faint outline of the hills/mountains that lay on the opposite side of the Firth of Forth (try saying that ten times fast).

Thursday evening I joined my flatmates to my second Ceilidh presented by the International Center. Having experienced a Ceilidh before, I was a bit more graceful during some of the dances, and I felt as if I had slightly more expertise than those who were new to the event. It was great to see many of the boys from Kansas, Kentucky, New York, and Washington attend the evening with a rented kilt, or in some cases a piece of patterned cloth. Complete with a dinner, bagpipes, fiddles, and balloons, the evening was a hit. And, to top it all off, I was able to fulfill my dream of actually dancing with a Scottish boy in a kilt!

Last Friday I performed with my choir and a full symphony in a beautiful church in Scotland. Although the concert was great, it was my last gathering with the choir as they prepare for a spring tour in Norway.

Saturday afternoon a friend and I decided to take a touristy adventure by joining a night tour of haunted Edinburgh. (While waiting in line, I ran into a Gustie that I work with on campus — small world!) The first half of the tour was interesting and entertaining – we were led by themed actresses down a small close and a causeway (much like a small back alley), learning about ghosts that are said to haunt the area. I was fine, although there are a few places that I will no longer go after dark.

The second part of the tour brought us underground into some abandoned vaults, which used to be part of a bridge, of which only one arch is still visible. Dimly lit by candles and faint lights, the vaults were damp, dark, cold, and disturbing. As the ghost stories continued, I found myself wanting to leave. I left from the tour unharmed, yet I have absolutely no desire to go again. If any of my visitors would like to take the tour, I will make plans to meet them at a populated pub after the tour.

This week will be full just as much as the last. Tonight is the international night at a local pub, tomorrow I will be seeing “Chicago” at the local theater, Thursday I will be attending the Story Telling Oscars as well as celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, and Friday I will be at a dance recital for two of my flatmates. To top it all of, I have decided to go to Perth for a day trip on Saturday.

One of my classes finishes this week, and the other two will finish next week. Spring break will follow Easter, and then a few exams. Even though I am not writing essays or studying for quizzes, I am very busy with discovering the treasures of Edinburgh. Although, I think from now on, I will only look for the treasures that remain ABOVE the grounds of Edinburgh.

Cheers!