Food, cooking, and happiness in life Posted on February 10th, 2005 by

This will not come as a surprise to those that know me well, the topic of food will really be the meat of this journal entry (sorry about the pun – wait, no, I’m not sorry at all). If it is necessary to eat about 3 times per day (which takes up quite a portion of time), I might as well enjoy what I am eating, right? An interesting encounter with true Japanese sushimi (foreign to my taste buds) was the first of many experiments with cuisine during the last two weeks. As it turns out, I don’t particularly care for seaweed, but at least I tried. The following night was a successful run with fajitas, which I am extremely proud of. There is a certain sense of accomplishment that accompanies a dish free of burn-marks and/or inedible objects.

Later in the week, I had a run at homemade sweet & sour chicken with fresh vegetables, complete with pineapple. As sad as it sounds, I impressed myself with this creation. Throughout the week while in the experimental mood I managed to create lime and cilantro rice to accompany more fajitas, and honey-lime chicken to use up the lime I bought for the rice. A trip to Wal-Mart/Azda inspired a yearning for cheeseburgers, which have never in my life tasted so wonderful (at Azda, I may have shed a tear upon reaching the aisle with a variety of BBQ sauces). The many fruits and vegetables throughout the week were balanced out by a trip for battered and salted fish (haddock I think) at 2 a.m. on Friday and an excursion to KFC (we only went to introduce our friends from France to the phenomenon known as popcorn chicken). Currently I am searching for ways to satisfy my constant need for peanut butter and applesauce (no, not together). Many of my friends are aware that these two products are essential to my mental wellbeing – I am surviving, but it is a struggle to be without. (I accidentally used ‘gourmet’ and ‘peanut butter & jelly sandwiches’ in the same sentence yesterday in a room filled with French students . . . mental note: do not do that again).

The only disaster in the kitchen, not counting the two small fires by my fellow flatmates last week, was a poor but passionate attempt to replicate a honey-BBQ chicken pizza with peppers and fresh mozzarella cheese. I was excited to make pizza from scratch, however it would have been nice to have done this under the supervision of someone who is familiar with making pizza dough. My family could have predicted the oil on everything, and the small piles of flour that ended up on the floor, on the counter, on my shoe, on my shirt, on the kitchen table … After using almost every dish and utensil in our kitchen, I managed to make one perfectly round pizza-dough bread bowl with BBQ chicken soup in the middle (I was a bit ambitious with the honey and the BBQ sauce — only because it looked so good!), and one oddly shaped (oddly shaped meaning there is no possible geometric shape or term to accurately describe the lopsided creation) mediocre pizza. I will be trying again, but with the help of one of my flatmates.

In between the eating, I have been spending time enjoying the marvelous weather in Edinburgh, although much cooler this week than last. As the temperature is once again “cold,” I feel at home and giggle as I watch the students from Arizona shiver 🙂 I am noticing a dramatic difference in daylight hours as the sun is reaching higher points in the sky, and the sun shining on Arthur’s Seat is more amazing each day. For $10, I attended the ballet with my flatmate to see “Sleeping Beauty,” and was amazed with the dancers while sitting in $50 seats. With the student discounts, I will surely be attending upcoming theatrical performances, including Peter Pan, Chicago, Madame Butterfly, etc. Another round of bargain shopping has helped me to look more like a European than an American, which has been a step in the right direction. I have been successfully navigating the library, and I have actually checked out a few books too.

A strange encounter with a random individual last week is definitely worth mentioning, only because I believe it is important to share the lessons learned. While sitting in a coffee shop I began talking with a man from Canada who claimed to have everything in the world. He showed me pictures of his recent and expensive trip to the Alps, his three houses throughout the world, and his other pricey ways of living. Many may be skeptical of the truth to his stories, but I believe him because of a few choice images in his pictures – just trust me on this one. He told me of his fortunes, his helicopters, and his Porsche. He talked for quite some time about all of these items which he could afford. Throughout our entire conversation however, it was obvious that he was actually a very lonely individual. He sounded as if family was barely existent in his life, and his friends sounded superficial. When we parted, I couldn’t help but consider the fact that he is able to own anything he wants, yet the money and the purchases were not fulfilling to him. Even when he was talking about his friends, it was evident that he had to purchase them as well.

Everything and every encounter in life happens for a specific reason. Meeting this individual was a wonderful reminder that money isn’t everything. He was so lonely, which is probably why he continued to make extravagant and unnecessary purchases — in order to try to satisfy an emptiness . . . I am so thankful to have my family and my friends, even if many of them are on the other side of the world during my time in Scotland. I will take friends and family any day over a Porsche and a helicopter!!

After that sentimental note, I must return to my flat and create my next meal . . . hopefully a success and not a disaster. In celebrating the birthday of my flatmate from France, I have eaten about 5 too many crepes over the last 24 hours (they do serve as breakfast, lunch and dinner!). The outrageous amounts of walking take care of my hearty meals, which is wonderful – otherwise I don’t know how I would survive when constantly surrounded with such delicious items!

Wish me luck as I continue my experiments in the kitchen!
Cheers