Back in the U.S. Posted on January 3rd, 2005 by

Well, I’m home! After travelling for roughly 32 hours (12 hours in flight and a 16-hour layover in Amsterdam, plus getting to and from airports), I’m finally back in America. And boy, is it strange. Everything is so spread out here, plus the people are louder and I don’t feel like I stick out because of my accent.

The funny thing is, I keep getting shocked by the fact that people don’t have accents — I’d become so accustomed to listening extremely carefully so as to understand through the cockney or RP or Italian or whatever accent I encountered. There are a lot of things I forgot about the States that I have to reaquaint myself with — and I do have to admit, it is taking me some time to remember how to drive on the appropriate side of the road!

Although it is nice to be home, I miss London terribly. It was honestly the best thing I ever did, going abroad. My mom keeps commenting that I’ve “grown up so much and become so London-ified”. I hope that’s a good thing. She’s right, though. I’ve changed a lot, and for the better. I now have a ton of tools to help with my acting, and a ton of tools to help with my life. To prevent this from becoming incredibly cheesy, I’m going to stop. But I know there will always be a place in my heart for this semester, and for London.